Luke and John, from the series The Four Evangelists

Collection ID







New York, New York (United States)




Stained Glass


Each is approximately 96″ H × 37.4″ W × 0.44″ D (243.84 × 95 × 1.11 cm)

Exhibit Location

On View in the atrium of the Stories of the Bible Floor

In situ, The Four Evangelists consisted of two windows, each having two rondels (double window) with a quatrefoil set within the tracery above. The window to the left of the altar depicted Matthew and Mark with the letter Alpha in the quatrefoil above. The other window to the right of the altar depicted Luke and John with the letter Omega in the quatrefoil above. The techniques demonstrated in this design are characteristic of its creator, Louis Comfort Tiffany, founder of Tiffany Studios, who was commissioned by Grace Episcopal Church (later, Church of the Epiphany) in Orange, New Jersey, to create the commemorative windows for Mr. Alexander Mann in 1905.

Designed and created in 1905 by Tiffany Studios, New York, New York; Installed in 1906 in Grace Episcopal Church (later, Church of the Epiphany), Orange, New Jersey; Privately purchased in 2013 by Green Collection, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Donated in 2016 to the National Christian Foundation (later The Signatry) under the curatorial care of Museum of the Bible.[1]

Notes: [1] Some portions of this window were donated to The Signatry, while others remain in the Green Collection.

Published References

Tiffany Studios, List of Tiffany Windows: A Partial List of Windows (New York: Tiffany Studios, 1910), 86.

Lillian Hillyer Marsh, One Hundred Years of Grace: A History of Grace Episcopal Church, Orange, New Jersey, 1854–1954 (1953), 22.

Questions about our Collections?

Visit Contact Us Page

(866) 430-MOTB

To acquire permission to use this image, please visit our Rights and Reproduction page .

More From The Collections

© Museum of the Bible 2024
Designed by PlainJoe