Santa Fe, New Mexico (United States)
20 × 20.5 × 13.75 in. (50.8 × 52.1 × 34.9 cm)
On view in the Temporary Exhibit on Floor 5
This limited-edition sculpture (11/33) is considered a significant work of modern religious art. Created by renowned artist Gilbert Jerome “Gib” Singleton (1935–2014), this piece is the second station in his Stations of the Cross, a collection of works that reinterpret a tradition within the Catholic Church commemorating fourteen events from the last hours of Jesus’s life. This piece depicts Jesus bearing his cross at the beginning of his journey to crucifixion.
Singleton’s style draws upon his interest in Western bronze sculpture but is more abstract in its figural representation. This approach was identified by Singleton as a form of emotional realism, and through it he hoped to create a spiritual and emotional connection to the soul.
Designed and created in 2009 by Gilbert Jerome “Gib” Singleton in Santa Fe, New Mexico; Sold in 2011 by C. Anthony Gallery in Beaver Creek, Colorado to the Hutchison Family Foundation in Winter Spring, Florida; Donated in 2017 to Museum of the Bible, Washington, DC.
Notes:  C. Anthony Gallery is the exclusive publisher of all Singleton’s art.
To acquire permission to use this image, please visit our Rights and Reproduction page.